Tuesday, March 4, 2014

New Build on the Horizon

               Hey everyone, sorry its been a bit, but really not a lot has happened lately in RC or really even hiking.  Unfortunately we got a bit of snow the other day, which puts a bit of a damper on out door plans, as my muscles like to lock up if I stay out in the cold too long.  Luckily with our weather here, the snow melts just as fast as it moves in.  So I am hoping to make a trip or two to the track this week and try out my Slayers new suspension set up.  I am quite happy with how it turned out quite honestly.  I just went back to the stock set up that initially seemed sloppy, but remember how I had stated my shocks had come improperly built?  I think that may have been what a large part of the issues.  I then placed a large preload on the springs and did a drop test and checked my suspension...was quite impressed at how it was sitting, returned quite well to a height I agree with, at least for starting.  I also loosened my slipper clutch just slightly, as I was not getting enough slip, and shocking my drivetrain as well (I had a broken spur tooth).  So we shall get the truck to the track a few times and see how it performs now with the changes and go from there.  I am thinking though that a middle differential may be a great investment...

               But first, I plan to still build me that "hiking" truck rock crawler. Have not forgotten about that, couldn't even.  I have actually been planning my build for this truck.  Well originally I put in my order to buy one, but they, couldn't verify my bank account.  I am not sure how they justified this excuse although as they took the money out of my account.  You know those days you have too when you fight all day long to keep a great attitude and you look forward to that one thing, and that is what gets you through the day?  Well that's what happened to me.  I had a long, very long day, but I held onto the fact I had ordered my truck and it was going to be on its way.  But then I get this email, stating they can not verify my credit card and that my order was on hold, but when I check my account they ran my credit card.  My anxiety just skyrocketed and I lost it.  I sent them an email letting them know I was upset, along with the proper information.  But then I decided to write an email I wouldn't send, letting them know how upset I was.  You know, like you have heard of therapists telling someone to write a letter to someone and then throw it away?  Well...Do not do it on email, especially when you are being taken over by anxiety...you may twitch when you decide you are done, and send the email, instead of delete it.  Sad day.  Plus side, the only real damage I most likely did was tell them my real feelings of the situation, and cancel my order.  And I think that may have worked out to the companies benefit.  Now not only do I plan to buy the truck, but I have been spending a lot of time doing some research and trying to decide what to do with the truck.  My goal is to come up with something that can cover a lot of terrain, while at times it can reach normal walking speeds, maybe faster.  So here is what I have come up with.

               The start of the truck will be Exceed's Maxstone 16.  We will then upgrade the truck from its stock "3 link" to a full "4 link" design.  The reviews state that the tires are too hard, contributed to the foams, so we shall inspect this upon receipt of the vehicle, and perhaps, if needed, adjust the foams.  I also plan to add weight to the wheels while I have the tires off.  They also complain that its slow, like slow for a crawler, so I want to upgrade the motor to a 370 brushed from a 270 brushed, just to get it fast enough to keep up with a casual hike.  As most of the electronics are mounted fairly high, I plan to shift these to a lower mounted location, along with flipping the shocks to bring the weight down closer to the axel's and wheels.  Four wheel steering will definitely help out once I find myself in tighter spots, so may as well add that to the build, and lastly if my budget allows I will include in the build a GT-3C from Flysky.  While I know its not a "top of the line" controller, not only will it unlock "true" 4 wheel steering on my truck, but I can use it as an upgrade, and organize all of my trucks under the same controller system, for a very convenient budget friendly price.  After all is said and done we will be looking at a price of about $210...What a mini rock crawler costs stock from almost any other company right now. So as soon as the company releases my money that they never took from me, and my budget from my birthday is finalized I will put in my order again and have an all new build on my hands!  So stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment